Friday, August 3, 2012

Happy Breastfeeding week!


I found this on a site and thought it was quite interesting. I fully support any way a mom chooses to feed their child ;-) I was lucky that my first child nursed so easy! My husband and I were young and poor so formula feeding was not an option due to the expense of formula. Thankfully, Ty latched very well and although it was painful, the pain went away quickly and I was able to successfully nurse for 10.5 months.
Now, flash forward 4 years when I was to nurse Gabriella. It was SO DIFFICULT! She did not latch on well, she was losing weight very fast, and her jaundice was getting worse by the minute. Sometimes she would latch on then move her head extremely fast... taking my nipple with her. It was painful. It was awful. And there were plenty of times I wanted to quit. Our financial situation is much different this time around but I wanted to nurse her because I wanted to. Not because I had too.
 The staff at the hospital I delivered at was so incredible and so encouraging. They constantly encouraged me and helped me adjust positions for easier nursing. Although she was losing weight they never wanted me to supplement with formula but gave me suggestions on other things I could do. In order to have my milk come in faster and plump her up I would nurse her for 10 minutes on each side then pump for 20 minutes and feed her what was expressed. I did that for 3 days straight.
One of my really good friends, Nicole had a lot of difficulty nursing. She developed an infection and so did her son. She was in so much pain for the first couple months but even through all of that she continued on. She is a wonderful example of a mama who never gave up despite all obstacles! I am so amazed at her perseverance.

If it wasn't for my desire to nurse, the support of the hospital and my family I most likely wouldn't have the second time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment